Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Hour a Day-sort of


I am pretty much caught up with my Hour a Day Quilt challenge from Judy L.'s site. I have been using a slightly different sized triangle left over from an old project so there is alot more trimming and fidgeting to get them together. The centers are from a nickel swap and the other parts are left over from Jen and Jay's wedding quilt. Everything was pre cut so I am retro fitting it all into her pattern. No doubt there will be some unsewing, to realign some points. Not quite as easy as cutting it all to fit, if that makes sense. But I decided that if I was going to do this I was not going to buy anything for it and so far it is working out. I am working for the next few days so I guess I will catch up again this weekend.
I am thinking of immersing my Dear Jane assemblage into a tan dye bath to help give it some color cohesion. I am so not liking the peachy backround color. But I am afraid of ruining the whole thing. I have never done such a drastic thing before. At least not to a quilt. Any thoughts? Should I be brave? Will I be remorseful in the morning?

8 comments:

Paula, the quilter said...

Just make your dye solution watered down so it doesn't so much dye it as stain it. That way if it is not dark enough you could do it again.

Jeanne said...

Love your stars!

Diana said...

I love the colorful hour a day quilt. I've never tried a dye bath, so no help here--maybe try a practice swatch first?

laura west kong said...

Thanks for visiting my blog!

Love the colors on both! I agree with Lisa, it's stunning just as it is.

Michelle said...

It sounds like a great idea and I'd love to see how it works out if you decide to try it. But the quilt looks great the way it is....any spare blocks you can experiment with?

Shelina said...

Your quilt a day is great - I love all the bright colors and dark background. You're right, it is more work to retrofit premade blocks, but I think your efforts will be worth it.

Your DJ looks great. I can't give you advice - I've only made about 50 something blocks and I've never dyed anything on purpose!

Anonymous said...

Well, did you dye it? I have decided that when I finish civil war and shirtings log cabin quilt that I was going to tea dye it. But dyeing it, might be a better choice.

Since I'm not sure when I will ever finish that quilt, I certainly can wait to see if you are brave enough to do it to your dearjane quilt and how it turns out! HA! (I'm no dummy:-)

Please let us know what you decide to do. It's stunning the way it is but might even be more stunning dyed!

hugs
hersheybar

quiltcontemplation blogspot said...

hey Linda-I need you new email address!!!