Friday, January 19, 2007

Floor cloth




I love my floor cloth on many levels. For one thing it is the biggest painting I have ever done and I love to work big. I love love love to make really big paintings. It is twenty by eight to fit the front porch which is our entry, our tool storage room and our studio. Not much space and freezing in the winter but I am happy to have it. And it is facing north so when there is enough light to paint from april through september I am happy.
The floor cloth is done in acrylics with a sponge on a gesso back round.I laid it out in the driveway and taped the squares, which are of course, quilt squares. What else would they be? On the back I used latex house paint to give it some added strength. It has held up very well and the best thing about it is that I never worry about spilling anything on it because it blends in and looks like it belongs there, well almost.Close inspection will bear me out. The only thing I would do differently is to find a non yellowing poly urethane to finish it with since the poly that I used did yellow it signifigantly. It has been a great studio floor and covers a multitude of sins-mainly tiles that were glued onto a cement floor that we could not get up no matter how much scraping and muriatic acid we used.
So if you ever think it might be something you would like to try, I say go for it. Just do it- it is only paint and if you hate it you can always blame me. I can take it.
My little featherweight has arrived from Arkansas. I bought her from ebay and I think she is very sweet. Everything works and she fits right in to the scheme of things here. I hope she will be happy in her new home. I am going to shine her up with some wd-40 in a little while, to make her gleam.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

i came over from kristine's blog, when i read about you posting pics of this... it's SO cool - I hope you don't mind if one day I use this beautiful idea as well :)
peace -
natala

quiltpixie said...

what a lovely floor cloth. I've been intrigued with the idea of them for some time, but a chicken... Maybe next summer I could try it outside..

Sandra said...

Your floor cloth looks wonderful!