Tuesday, March 28, 2006

Job interview

Today I took my daughter for her tutoring session which ended up being at Starbucks by default. The library was on its late opening schedule, closed when we arrived, and the Starbucks is right next door.
Well It turns out that they were interviewing so on an impulse I filled in a application and interviewed. I have a pretty stacked resume- former aviation exec, kitchen deigner corporate facilitator vendor contract manager maintenance resource positioning manager housing commisoner blah blah. But I left all that behind because I did not want to sell my soul for a job and now when I want to get a job to have extra money for the cookie jar(and hand dyes and oil paint and beads and seeds....)(and shoes) and start a retirement fund(better late than never), I wonder if I can even get a job at Starbucks-which, by the way looks like a nice part time place to work if you like coffee- which I do. At least I will not be getting calls from grounded a/c crews looking for a part that can be delivered to a remote spot in the southern hemishere, like yesterday.
Funny though. Interviewing is a good way to re-look at your work history, which I have not done recently, since I had no intention of actually getting a real job. But having a real job has its advantages. As one former colleague put it"you can't spend money while you are working." And you get to talk to people whose only need from you is a latte and thank you very much have a great day.
Just yesterday I was thinking I should study for the LSATs and go to law school to become an advocate for disabled kids who are getting sidelined by out school systems which only want to extrude a bland mediocre plain old homoginized cheese product kind of kid. What abot the hot peppers? where is the blue cheese? no passion, no guts, no glory. Sad. I would be a great advocate. But I am not going to law school and I have to advocate for my very own hot pepper kid. Which is a job in and of itself and the only job for which I am truely irreplaceable.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

As a teacher, I feel your pain at the loss of the bleu cheese and hot peppers! Unfortunately, my perspective shows me that we have vry few students who are academically minded. Time to reform the whole system. Take the teenagers who don't want to crack a book, and put them to work! Kind of like the old apprentice programs. After a few years, they'll have some skills and/or a desire for more formal education. It would be so nice to have a classroom of people who *wanted* to learn. Sigh. That's why I'd much rather teach quilting!!

Inga said...

I'm holding my thumbs for you. Hope you get the job. And yes, the job you're doing with your daughter is way too important to be left to ignorants. Keep on working!

Inga