Tuesday, October 10, 2006

weighty matters


Today my son told me that he has hypertension. He is twenty three. In our family he have a history of diabetes and high blood pressure. Not a good combination... so I have committed myself to lose weight with him. And so has his dad and his sister and even my lanky husband who has put on that middle aged twenty pounds since we first met.
For me it is back to weight watcher to lose thirty five pounds. I have been so unhappy with my weight lately.More from vanity than from health reasons. There was not on ephoto from my daughter's wedding ,of me, that I liked. (Worse even) I was always one of those young skinny types and now that fifty looms I am not skinny nor young. And while I have no desire to turn back time, I can lose weight.
My plan:
1.Go to weight watchers tonight. I have put it on my calendar as a weekly event and I have put a two hour reminder on it so I don't "forget".
2.Buy good walking shoes. Because of my weight and possible arthritis in my feet and knees and back, it is so important for me to have good shoes, not, alas, sexy ones, but sturdy and comfortable ones, because if my feet hurt, I won't walk and if I don't walk I will stay fat and if I stay fat my knees will hurt and so it goes. So I have ordered myself a pair of hikers from a catalog called Title9 For those who may not know, title nine is the law in the USA that entitles girls equal access in school to fitness and sports programs. When I was a girl this was not the case.
So, I will be counting steps and points and I hope I will not be too cranky, but don't count on it.

2 comments:

Hedgehog said...

Title9 is great - the shop and the law. :) Good luck to the whole family.

Gina said...

Martha, I am sad to hear about your son's hypertension, however, I am encouraged by your family decision to take action with him. I am currently 34lbs from my WW goal, so I will be here -- counting pointing and taking steps with you! I know it's not the same as a "real" person to encourage you, but think of my as a cyber exercise buddy.