Thursday, March 08, 2007

The Writer's Almanac from American Public Media

The Writer's Almanac from American Public Media
awesome podcasts...omg this is awesome! Follow the lnk for free podcasts from itunes-if you love Garrisin Kiellor check it out. I am enthralled and thrilled. I MISS poetry, I MISS being around other writers.
The chapter from finding water this week is about allowing ourselves to be supported by friends. Well if you have ever been in a Nar Anon meeting you will hear what happens to your friends when your kids starts using. You can kiss life as you know it good bye and that is about all I am going to have to say about that. For now.
So I need to find a writing group, preferably poets, preferably women, who don't question why my stuff is so sad. I write about what I have lived. It is not fiction. I do not write to make any one else sad. It has been how I transform pain into art which=joy.

Another one of my mother's paintings. It is stored at my grandmothers house with some others. I guess I should have brought it home with me but I could not carry it. I could not bear the awful weight of it. Today we received an envelope from her with a video tape called "the Santa Tapes" in it. A black and white video remastered interview from 1975 of a department store Santa. Well I just cain't wait to see this one. She does not enclose a note, nor salutation. She spells my name wrong. With a Y.
I thought I was going to have Friday off so I could sew some sampler squares but I have been asked to work and I can use the money so I will be working straight through the weekend until Monday. Man o man. I hope I can hold up:) However I have printed up some freezer paper patterns and I will get to them one of these days..
Sentimentalstitches
a fun new web site with lots of great links and free patterns for those of us who think we will live long enough to actually make all of the quilts we think we need to make.

6 comments:

Jessie said...

Martha, I think that finding a writer's group sounds like an incredible idea. Your poetry is stunning. Don't ever feel like you need to write anything other than you are...I mean, writing about flowers and butterflies is great...but it's the meat of life that makes the best poetry, and that is exactly what yours does.

When I'm done with my thesis, I have been thinking that I would like to find a writer's group as well. There's a lot to be said in finding a group of people that you can connect with in terms of writing. The sheer exchange of energy can be so invigorating and inspiring!

I wish you luck. Your words are powerful...including the ones in this post.

Anonymous said...

Your mama is definitely the artist.

Gina said...

Oh wow! Thank you for the link. This is one of my favorite bits on NPR, and I generally miss it as it doesn't sync with my commute to work. Thanks!

Leah said...

i think a poetry group sounds like a fantastic idea! perhaps you could even start one!

i love npr podcasts. wait, wait, don't tell me is my favorite. :-)

your mom's painting is lovely

Anonymous said...

I love the writer's almanac! I listen to it on Podcast as well and just love driving to Garrison's voice.
What a great blog you have! What gorgeous work. My mom quilts -- she will get a kick out of your pictures. And i am impressed by your mom's paintings.

Granny Fran said...

Your mother's paintings are lovely. I think a group is helpful in whatever endeavor we are involved. I probably need a grammar group after reading that last sentence. Oh well, I tell my grandkids that I use colloquial English on purpose because it adds richness to communication.