Monday, March 05, 2007

the past-a peek

On the second shelf is my great grandmother's hat block. I credit her with my interest (actually more of a passion or obsession) in sewing. At least the seed was planted, as I watched her make me a jumper for swimming. Apparently I had arrived in Florida with out swimming attire and she set about to fix that. She told me, as I watched her, about ironing the seams open and even about matching gingham checks. It was a blue and white garment, shorts on the bottom, strapped shirt on the top. One piece, like a kids overalls. and it was lined. I think I must have found it beautiful because it has stayed a clear memory all these years. Anyway, my mother, whose little painting you can also see here, gave this hat block to me.
Some one made hats. Was it my great grandmother or her mother? I am not sure, but it was somebody and this is their hat block. Now people probably use plastic ones, or styrofoam. This one is solid heavy wood, perhaps from a hickory tree. Ladies generally don't even make their own hats any more, for church, or gardening, or just to walk down the street, capped by the artfully arranged chapeau. No. Ladies do not wear hats to the same extent as they used to wear hats, as a statement of their station, as protection from the sun, as an elegant and delicately balanced (pinned in place with one of those long and potentially dangerous hat pins) accoutrement. But I wander. My thoughts have a mind of their own. (Groan, ouch, hahaha.) I have not seen my great grandmother in many decades and I do not recall if she ever wore a hat in my presence. But I can recall her voice, reminding me to always, always iron open my seams.

4 comments:

Joyce said...

Apparently, my husband's grandmother was a hat maker but unfortunately, all her supplies were thrown away. I never knew her but the story is that she was a mean old thing so I guess nobody wanted her stuff. I would love to have it now.

Ang said...

Just visiting from the Finding Water site.
Your mother's painting is beautiful, I love lighthouses.

Elizabeth said...

Visiting you from the FW group - hello! Your Mother's painting is amazing, and what a talented family! I adore things that are passed from generation to generation, it gives a sense of belonging, that all is well with the world. I have a little green jug that belonged to my Great Grandmother, it makes me feel safe and loved.
Nice to meet you, E

Anonymous said...

Martha, Mom made her own hats, but had stopped by the time you came along. She would copy the hats she admired in Godcheaux & Gus Mayer, and other toney department stores etc., in New Orleans (remember this was before steam irons- so she used a tea kettle spout to help mold the shapes.) She kept an impressive assortment of feathers + trims and veil-net. Quite a show! She had many large hat boxes, which she loved to haul on her train trips, which meant she might arrive with 6-8 significant- sized pieces of matched luggage, for which she had sewn tailored canvas zippered covers --little rough on the manicures she always had!-- and she always wore her laceup corset- always- even when she was well into her 80's- Let's remember to talk about her more on our next get together, about her handmade pin tucked blouses, her hand made button holes, and how she got 5 daughters through the ups + downs of their world-- you come by your talents quite naturally! But you have done far more than the rest of the clan ever dreamed of being able to do.. Go Gal, you sparkle!!