Tuesday, February 28, 2006

Painting


I am so excited! I have done my first encaustic painting! I bought these paints two years ago and never even opened one up. This is from a picture that my daughter's therapist showed me of a place called Hermits Island. I sketched it in oils and then thought I would try some encaustics on top and then the encaustics took over!
I am reading a book by Eric Maisel called Fearless Creating. He said "get up right now and go and work on your project for a half hour." So I did. Feels great to make a painting. If Mark, Katy's therapist, likes it I will give it to him.
While painting I listened to Yo-Yo Ma play Schumann's Cello Concerto. Life is good!!
Of course I later felt compelled to go and change the entire thing. Never know when to stop. I like the second one, but I wish I had kept the first one as well. Someone needs to remind me tha I can have two canvases. I don't need to keep reworking the same one.

4 comments:

Lin said...

SO BEAUTIFUL!! Dreamy qualities ...!

Desiree's Designs said...

Really nice, but what are incaustics? I would love to hear about the whole process. Dianne

quiltcontemplation blogspot said...

Hi Desiree,
Encaustics are paints whose binder is beeswax instead of linseed oil (which did not get used until the 1500's.I am not sure of that date). It needs to be melted and resin added to help it harden. You appy it in a molten state. It is alot of fun to work with! You can do alot of texture with it or let it harden in a smooth state. It is an ancient technique and was used in the face cloth paintings on mummies in Persia. There are portraits in the Metropolitan done in encaustics from over 2000 years ago.This was the first time I tried them but I can see that they are alot of fun.

Marilyn said...

Desiree:
I like how it turned out. I have done one very small project in which I used encaustic wax. I should post it to my blogspot.