Sunday, January 13, 2008

Surface area-studio






My painting studio is actually the front porch and entry way to our house. Not entirely conventional by any means. There are twelve north facing windows so I guess this is as near perfect as you can get in this latitude. This space has evolved into my play room and doubles as storage for tools and toys of all kinds. You might say we are messy. you might ay we are not afraid to fuel our passion. In your life you can be conventional and try to fit in and reap whatever rewards come of that. Personally I have never been able to find a place in the conventional world, and trying to squeeze myself into a wrong mold has been excruciatingly painful. Through time, errors and wise counsel, I just decided to be who I am and rejoice in my own gifts, whether or not they could be seen by anyone else. I have been fortunate to have found a partner who rejoices with me. I can say I have succeeded in life for this, if for no other reason. We have journeyed far to find each  other. And we are happy. My legacy is to show that in spite of what may be done to you, you can be happy. You can be joyous. You can create and share art and poetry and love which can inspire one person, or many, and that will be a life well lived.
Well, how did I get to that ramble? I will leave it in. At different times in my life I have been asked about my passion, my motivation, my legacy and this is my answer. I guess I just needed to make it evident.
In my life, I have endured many losses, including the complete loss of my family of origin due to insanity mostly, divorce and death. But I am a joyful, Somehow I found that , even broken, I am beloved and that is they key to my survival and my victory.

1 comment:

Debra Dixon said...

Owning your own gifts is a major achievement that not everyone can say she does or does well. Congrats to you! And, I believe a studio can be anywhere you want it to be!