Tuesday, January 08, 2008

details


What I love about encaustics is that it encapsulates and preserves. It was use in ancient Persia to make the images on shrouds. Some examples still exist In the Metropolitan Museum in NY. I also love that is can be buffed and shiny and textured and opaque or translucent.
As I look at this painting there are thing that I want to explain and things I want to add or take out and then I remember that I am finished. It is what it is and I am going to let it remain so. As hard as that is for me.
Originally there was a book in her hand and I did not complete it because time passed and it was no longer being read. The image of the window is from a photo taken inside the stairwell at the church at the ground zero site. The lace is hand beaded belgian lace, beaded by my grandmother. The model is my daughter. It is painted on a panel of birch plywood, over which canvas is glued with archival glue.
These are some details that might interest you.



3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your work is just awesome!

hugs
hersheybar

Debra Dixon said...

Enjoyed the details and your resolve to leave it as a finished piece. I think you are right in that sentiment. I really don't like it when fiber people can't leave well enough alone.

Unknown said...

Thanks for posting. I enjoyed all of it.