Wednesday, August 08, 2007

City adventure


On Sunday we drove into the city to go to the Met and to go to the City Quilter in Chelsea. I bought some bag patterns-Amy Butler and a cute bunny pin cushion pattern-to be made with wool. The red and black fabric comes from Jenny's Grandmother's stash. She is cleaning out some stuff to sell her house. Jen's great grandmother was an amazing seamstress. She was a fitter for models in the garment district in the forties. Her skills as a sewist meant that her family would not be poor when her husband died suddenly at a young age. I will make a bag for Jen from the fabric. It is called the Frency Bag, by Amy Butler, of course.In the Chelsea district (25th and 6th ish) there is a great out door market on weekends. We strolled through it and my eye caught this chest of drawers!
Is this not spectacular? However it was too dear and we passed on by. The image did not leave me however and Mike said "you could paint a chest like this!?" he did not realize that these were fighting words!! The chest was solid wood and six actual drawers and no way could I find a chest like this for the price they wanted -- and any how--do I have to do all the work --all the time???

...on we went , uptown to the Metropolitan, and here are some photos I took there. You are allowed to take pictures in some parts of the Met-no flash. These were taken with my phone~














Sometimes I feel like the camel.
Sometimes I am the Siren.
One of my favorite parts of the museum is the Temple of Dendur.
These are the Spirits who guard it.

After lunch at the Chipotle Grill-excellent- and three hours in the Met, we did go back to Chelsea and get that chest. It was the end of the day and it was a hundred and fifty dollars less.....


2 comments:

Shelina said...

Martha, I'm glad you were able to get the chest for the lower price. It is beautiful. Your bag is beautiful as well.

Rayna said...

Ha! It waited for you; that means you were meant to have it. It's a beaut.