Wednesday, May 16, 2007

A walk-what I saw


Went for a walk today along the coast of the mighty Atlantic. It is a perfect day for a walk, breezey and cool. I am grateful to live so close to the beach that I can hear it and smell it and feel the salt spray in the air. And If I want to walk along the sandy shore I am about five minutes away on foot. So today, after walking to the laundry and dropping off some shirts( I love the way they come back ironed and folded into uniform little packets-so worth the buck fifty), I decided to continue south to the water and stroll home the long way making a complete circle of my steps rather that a crescent.
When I first came to the boardwalk I was irritated that here were these two guys with blowers on the boardwalk, blowing away the sand with these loud obnoxious fuming backpacks. For heaven's sake this is the beach. Why are they paying these guys to blow sand around and why is it so freaking loud that you can't even hear the surf? I know the town has an ordinance against these loud backpack blowers-no matter, I continue past them over the boardwalk and down to the water's edge.
I saw the seagulls and the pipers and the crab shells that housed the animals that fed them, strewn along the beach-low tide-there was that sudsy scummy stuff that the surf leaves, some bits of seaweed and some less appealing human litter. Well at least they were having safe sex!
I saw a fisherman, surf casting in hip waders held up by suspenders over a plaid shirt: his cooler and some other stuff beside him on a beach chair. As he returned my wave his line tugged and his attention instanly went to see what was pulling on his line. I did not stop and watch. I kept going.
I saw a man a and a boy with their pant legs rolled up feet in the still cold water. They did not look up, they were engrossed with each other. There was a runner whose footpirints dug deep into the sand as he passed and I wondered how he ran on his toes like that-no heel imprints. That can't be good?
A beach comber truck went by his rolling trash sweeper raised, not yet in service. Later on in the season, before the official opening of the beach, when you must pay ten dolloars for admission, the beach pickers will be hired from the ranks of the middle and high school to come onto the beach each day to pick up the trash that the sunworshippers leave. Really disgusting how people do that.
I saw some neighbors on the way back, too. Olga from across the street ,out for a ride with her husband Nick, allowed as how it was a pity that weight watchers has done me no good at all. See, she said I told you it as a waste of money! Her double chin encased in a hooded sweat shirt, wobbled. After fifty it is hopeless she assured me-but you still look sexy!
Thanks Olga. I did not accept her invitation to join them on their bench on the boardwalk. I might have become depressed.
And now I am off to meet a friend for lunch:) and I will enjoy it!

2 comments:

Shelina said...

Martha, thank you for sharing your walk on the beach with us. I don't live anywhere near a beach, so I thoroughly enjoyed the experience. Even though your neighbor's comments weren't appropriate, I hope you were able to shrug them off after that lovely walk on the beach.

Anonymous said...

a perfect example of 'if you can't say something nice, say nothing at all.' argh!!!!!!!! i also think that was awfully rude of her.
hugs, patti