Thursday, March 05, 2009

dreams from before time

I dreamed I was in the house at seven thayer street and it was devoid of any furnishing
of us
In the physical sense

I was taking pictures of the antiquities. There
was a frumpy coiffed half passed middle aged real estate lady there worriedly showing the empty house to ghostly prospects

She may have been wringing her bejeweled hands

I was taking pictures of the metal work, ancient medallions, grillwork on the heater vents, the wooden windows framing the gray new england skies, try ing to preserve the artifacts, make a record of them
Not for future generations
Not for my descendants
but for me

To preserve what was worthy and good
The creative spirit that indwelled that place
in paint and in time
that architecture that was in fact
bare of motif and medallion and to
invite that spirit back in

I visit that place in my dreams
looking for us
for traces of us

Here is where she slept under billowing lace curtains
Here is the ancient copper bath tub
Here we trod the wide planked floors

It is ever a sad search
There are no remains
and no rememberers

No comments: