Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Fun with pictures


Tonight I played with pictures using Photoshop Elements and tutorial from Jessica Sprague's wonderful web site. I wish that the tools that I have now had been available to me when I was a young mom. I would have had fun with digital scrap booking. If I had extra hours in the day I could go back in time and scan a thousand or so pictures that I want to play with.
I won a blog award from Cyndi! I met Cyndi in a cross stitch swap and we have been reading each other's blogs since then. She makes supportive comments which are always appreciated. As all bloggers know, sometimes it is lonely at the keyboard. You wonder who, if anyone, is reading the words you write. So, when people leave comments, it does make a difference. It does make a blogger want to keep on tapping on.


So with out further ado, I will fulfill the conditions of the award I am so humbled to receive and list five addictions. I will not list unhealthy addictions, rather the passions that I am joyously and ravenously feasting upon.
1. I love to make things, from children to quilts. I love creating beautiful objects artifacts beings rooms and relationships.
2. I love to read great books. I am not a reader of 'lightweight' literature. I love poetry and language and writing that illuminates truth.
3. I love my community of people, most of whom I have never met, who have joined me in the pursuit of accomplishing fiber nirvana and sharing in these forums on the internet.
4. I love art and art supplies and computers and good erasers and sharp scissors and good brushes and the smell of paper and the smell of linseed oil, piles of clean pressed fabric and yarn and sewing machines and fine pochades. I guess I love the things that make the processes of creation pleasurable. And books to show me how.
Oh, and my camera. I love my olympus.
5. I love my home and the people who have made it here with me. And for the two or three people who have had the balls to stick with me through my tumultuous journey, I love you too.
Five blogs I love:not in any order and I do not even know if anyone will play contest with us but that is ok. I will just keep on reading them anyway...and pass the award on down the line..
Diary of a self portrait
Brooklyntweed
the old professor
inklingo projects
Crazy aunt Purl

2 comments:

Cathi said...

Congratulations, Martha! Nice award.
I've been playing a little bit with some of the filters in Photoshop and am amazed at what one can do. If only there were more hours in a day!

Susan In Texas said...

I really enjoy reading your blog. I like all kinds of literature. My husband and I take the list of Pulitzer Prize winners and scour the shelves at Half Price books to find them, but I must also confess that this past Christmas break I devoured all NINE of the Sookie Stackhouse vampire novels and had a BLAST! For a good juicy read there's nothing like vampires in Shreveport (my husband's home town.) lol

I am curious to know what you have been reading lately. Any recommendations? In the past year or two I've read Infidel by Ayaan Hirsi Ali, Foreign Affairs by Alison Lurie, Amersterdam by Ian McEwan, Interpreter of Maladies by Jhumpa Lahiri, Everyman by Philip Roth, March by Geraldine Brooks, The Blind Assasin by Margaret Atwood, The Sea The Sea by Iris Murdoch, War Trash and Waiting, both by Ha Jin, Hotel DuLac by Anita Brookner and Dodsworth by Sinclair Lewis. They were all excellent. I got stuck and never finished The Known World by Edward P. Jones, The Bone People by Keri Hulme, and Life & Times of Michael K by J.M. Coetzee(which is embarassing because it is so short, but soooo depressing!) My husband slogged through Cormac McCarthy's The Road, but he said it was incredibly dark and depressing and can't really recommend it (and HE made it through Michael K. lol)

Keep up the great blogging!
Susan
http://www.susanintexas.blogspot.com