Wednesday, December 20, 2006

The countdown

I have some festive moments....I like the lights and the tree in our living room. This year I wanted to forgo all of the decorating but my DH is just a big ole kid, so I let him do it. Working in a busy shopping mall has give me enough distraction to make the holiday fun. I have done NO STITCHING though and I need to get at least two felted bags lined and bedecked with handles. One lining is in and the second bag remains nekkid. I have begun on sleeve on my sweater project, being knit with double stranded wool, it may get done in time but then again.....we are in the final days before Christmas.
When people talk about not feeling festive, I think that maybe it is because we in the US are in a war! We hear horrible news every day and we fear for the world and our loved ones. For me -this is what comes to mind. Having been born into a military family and losing my brother while he was in active service( his birthday was last Sunday, he would have been forty nine) I can never forget that while the egg nog is being passed around, our loved ones are in the line of fire. Across the street from me there is a woman who has three sons serving in Iraq. There is a flag in her window with three stars. One of her sons looked out for Katy when she was in trouble. Now he is in the Army.
So I will not feel all that merry, but I will hold them up to God as I understand Him, or Her, or Them!!!
And all of the others who have lost loved ones in all of the wars, the military actions, the war of drug addiction, domestic abuse, racism, hunger, poverty and ignorance. We have all been blighted. I will hold them in my heart as well. For my belief is that is is only love and light that will make a positive difference, and it is my honor to be among the ones who carry love in my heart for all of us.
And that is how I celebrate the birth of the Prince of Light, the Prince of Peace. In My heart.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well said! I believe as you do too.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing your thoughts.

Anonymous said...

This is a very nice Christmas post. You hit on the things that count.

Merry Christmas to you and your family.

Anonymous said...

u hit the nail on the head.
Eb