Sunday, March 02, 2008

Salix genus and blocks



Some blocks and some pussy willows from our back yard.
Movement was severely restricted since I wrenched my back sometime last week at work. By yesterday morning I could not move my torso without screechng pain, so I spent most of the day on the couch, catching up on phone calls and email. By dinner I was able to move around and sit at the sewing machine so I hemmed some pants for Jen. I also made a couple of diamonds for the Diamond of the week initiative, (on the DJRetreats yahoo list), from Quilted Diamonds, by Linda Franz.
The heart block is for my personal swap. It is the Hannah's hearts Dear Jane block and is six inches.The originals are much smaller-4.5 inches. The diamonds are enlarged from the 4 by 7 inch size in the book, to 8.75 by 5 inches. I am finding the larger sizes much more fun and relaxing to piece.
I use the cds from each author and Electric Quilt software to increase the size, The program has many many more tools but mainly I use it to re size my locks and figure out settings. These increments of an inch or so may not seem like much but it is a huge difference in these tiny blocks, some of which are made with dozens of of pieces.
Through internet groups like Dear Jane, and Yahoo groups like DJretreats and Wiproducers I have l grown my passion for quilting and have gotten support and friendship and even love from the people who I have met there.

5 comments:

Shelina said...

Your diamonds look wonderful. Did you paper piece them? I am afraid to start on the diamonds on the Dear jane.

Jessie said...

oh my dear! i've been away for too long and am catching up with you today and WOW!!! you have been so busy! :) i love seeing your creative juices at work. you are truly a multi-talented woman. fabric, poetry, paint...you do it all! and i love it! :)

julieQ said...

Beautiful blocks! I am so sorry your your sore back...hope you get well soon!

Wenche said...

I love you DJ and QD blocks....

Mybe I can get back on track on my blocks ;-)I started my BabyJane back in 2000.....

Cat said...

What size did you make your quilted diamonds? I signed up for the DOW but want to make my blocks bigger. I think you mentioned that you were making your blocks bigger then the original.