Tuesday, May 30, 2006

Book Club Reading


"The View from the Studio Door" is by Ted Orland. I haven't begun it yet beause I do not have it.I am sending check today. Melanie Testa is hosting discussion group on her blog which is linked in the title of this page.
Lately my chorus of inner critics have been having a party in my head. Their names are Not Important, Too Old, Too Fat, Too Sad, Nobody Cares, Fatigue and Unworthy. Not Important and Unworthy are twins but they are not identical twins. They are especially loud when it comes to writing and painting-and really really loud when when I entertain the idea of publishing or --be still my heart--selling my work.
So here is my plan. I am exposing them. They hate the light. And I am going to try to be indifferent to their raucus and clamourous intrusion. I plan on playing music and books on tape as a first line of defense.
And daily practise and taking care of myself and most important I am going to .....what ? I don't know yet. That is why I am here, to figure that out. Writing about the chorus is a way to route them out. Sometimes they surprise me when I become aware of how constant they have become. Can I eradicate them? Silence them? Or at least minimize their influence? That is the plan.
Yesterday when I posted the poem, I felt very vulnerable and almost did not share it. Too Sad and Nobody Cares were working on me. But I put on my armor and posted away. I am ready to fight for my art.

4 comments:

Inga said...

I think there is a world festival for inner critic choruses going on right now. Let's silence them!

Inga

Andi said...

I thought the poem was beautiful.

Let the critics become a barely-noticeable hum in the background as you write and paint and continue to express what's in your heart. I will be here every day to see it, and I thank you for sharing.

(((((HUGS)))))

Anonymous said...

Martha, I go back and re-read your poem it touched my inner being. I am understanding your inner critic also. I found a place of encouragement and felt compelled to share it with you. Do as you wish with it. I think its beauty is uplifting as well as its encouragement. Don't stop blessing yourself and others with the joy of your hands. THE DAILY MOTIVATOR
http://greatday.com/motivate/index.html

Hanne said...

Trolls burst in daylight - keep on exposing them and they will lose power ! More power to you my friend ! When one is tired the trolls takes control easier. Get lots of rest, drink lots of water, enjoy your daily threads in art - writing, reading, painting, sewing or just let your mind wander on restful paths. I am high on your fan list, and when, not if, you publish, reserve a copy of whatever it is for me :-)