Thursday, April 07, 2011

the city - birthday trip

    It was a beautiful day to  take the Long Island Railroad into the city. Temperatures were in the forties and sunny-perfect for walking!
   We bought matinee tickets on line for the Broadway show "the Addams Family" and hopped on the train a couple of hours early so we could walk around a bit. We actually left the house minutes before the scheduled departure, and drove as close to the station as we could find parking (it is only half a mile from the house) and RAN!!! to the catch the train, arriving on the platform with seconds to spare. We had assembled a picnic breakfast ( cadbury eggs and scones made earlier in the morning-from at tube- and a shared egg sandwich, bought when Mike had gone out earlier to the atm), and happily munched as we congratulated ourselves on having made the train! ( me running-now that's a story for another day- note the cadbury eggs included in the breakfast menu.)
   We did walk from the Penn Station to Broadway and stopped at a button and trim store in the garment district along the way. No purchase, just gazing, or gawking, upon row after aisle of shiny things. I was tempted by some velvet rick rack trim and some handbag handles, but did not buy them because I did not want to be hauling them all over the city. Oh, and I have no immediate use for them for (but there is always the future) and there were the zippers and buttons and rhinestones and I don't even like rhinestones. and there was a tiara.....
     There was a time when I liked clothes and being in the city awakens that affinity. Passing window after window of glamourous overpriced undersized fashion inventory, makes me think about once again wearing nice clothes. Alas, I do not have to think about clothes anymore. My job requires jeans and a t-shirt (and no hats). That is about the extent of the dress code. Over the years I have not paid any attention to my wardrobe and what is left of it is not wearable for any number of reasons(note the above ref..cadbury etc). I could probably just chuck the whole of it out the window and start anew. I once enjoyed sewing clothes.....but lets not go there! I do not have room in my house for another do list!





    The play was a funny witty musical and I am not a critic so I will not attempt a critique, but we enjoyed it and our expectations were exceeded. I would recommend it if you are in the mood for a fun afternoon in the city! We left the theatre and it was raining. Even so we walked to Grand Central Station and perused the most excellent market and found a pen store where Michael got his Birthday Pen. We walked back to Penn Station in a light rain and if it did not mess up my glasses, it would have been refreshing! It was not cold and we arrived at  the train station with a minute to spare. It was a lucky train day. By the time we got home we were rested enough for dinner at a local establishment and were too tired for dessert. A Hammish MacBeth dvd was the finale` ~ and there you have another birthday passed into history~

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

he's still a hunk!

Rayna said...

You write so poetically, Martha. Sounds like a lovely day in the CIty.

Hamish MacBeth - too funny. I read every one of the silly books that had been publshed in that series, ten years ago. At that time, I needed no-brainers. Haven't read one since and didn't know they made a tv show. He was probably better looking on tv than he was in the book.