Tuesday, March 08, 2011

False starts that have led me here

the beginning of a backing
I have been making many false starts at doing an honest to goodness applique quilt for as long as I have been quilting. I love looking at the stately Baltimore Alblums, and the stories of the bible and other stories that you see in some of the gorgeous quilts I have seen in museums. I have drooled over the New England quilts in the Sherwood book and the Mid West quilts in the Hoover (I think) , and of course the Dear Jane and the Dear Hannah and the wonderful Applique Society blocks and Diane's  applique block of the month blocks. I have made many a running start on these, buying books and patterns and thread and backrounds and different color schemes. And....drum roll please.... I am about to do it again- start, I mean. 

I found the Mary Mannakee patterns that I bought from the DAR museum several years ago( I am a bonafide DAR) and wham!! bang !! boom !! I am starting again. So wish me luck.

I am doing the back for the Storm at Sea, and not sure where I am going with it, so bear with me. Also still thinking of adding a border still but probably will not.

I think I will make kits. My own block of the month kits. Only it will not be of the month, it will be just 'block of whenever I can find the space to sit and stitch'. BOWICFTSTSAS. I think I will do what I do and make them the size I want and I will do it in reds and greens ( since I have them) ( I have already done one 16 inch oak reel which will be included) and may just use the patterns as inspiration. I think all of the false starts have led me back to this , and helped me get ready for this, and so, off I go. 
All artists need to practice. False starts are practice. Do not berate yourself for practicing. It is an essential part of what we do and in no other art form is the expectation there that each piece will be either finished or perfect. Anyway this is what i am dreaming of....

Had my mamo and sono yesterday and today I am seeing the doc for a result. Not expecting anything one way or another. Fifty percent of the tests I get result in more tests, and so it goes. 

1 comment:

Joan said...

Love to see what you are up to.Good luck for your results. I too am having tsets in a couple of weeks - not swallowing properly...but heyho I hope it will sort :) Sewing takes the mind off things thankfully.