Friday, November 12, 2010

In real life there are situations where we do not get do overs. However in our creative life, our advocation, crafting and artisan endeavors, we can and should scrap things that we are interminably stalled upon, or projects that give us no joy. 
In other words, sometimes I just want to start over. This can mean putting things away, out of sight, in order to rediscover them at another time, or just plain tossing them. Some would say that this is actually a necessary element of creativity. 





Today, I am wondering how it would feel to not feel obligated to finish existing projects. What would I choose to do if there were no works in progress. I wonder what I would do if I could start over. I do not mean in the big life sense. the problem for me is that since my identity is so infused with my creative spirit, it is not just a question of what I want to play with, it becomes who do i want to be and then I am mired in it all over again. The continuing saga of what do I want to be when I grow up.
Sometimes I just want to have fun. The whole serious discussion of what is creativity and why and wherefore, is beyond me. I intend to keep it there. Sometimes I just need to be out of the stream of ordinary  and into the flow of my creative universe. 
that is all

2 comments:

Joan said...

Thats interesting Martha. I was once told - years ago...I should be able to toss out the things that were not as I hoped them to be...untill I got to that stage - I couldnt move forward...maybe thats why I have such a lot of UFO's and need to start to throw out. I did throw a lot of pottery out when that was what I was doing. THat was a long time ago too.. :)

Anonymous said...

you wrote, "...it becomes who do i want to be and then I am mired in it all over again. The continuing saga of what do I want to be when I grow up."

i struggle with this too. every day.