Monday, May 19, 2008

Dutchquilts and high scrapiness


photo.jpg
Originally uploaded by martha_bilski
Scrappy!

Years ago when I first began my Dear Jane adventure, I ordered fabric from Den Hann & Wagenmakers in Amsterdam. I had come across a tiny blurb in the arts section of the NYTimes about businesses that only sold one product. And I was off on a tangent. I found the Dear Jane book on their webste and I ordered a fabric sampler and with my order they sent some photos and some plastic templates. And then there came the Dear Jane internet list, hosted by Brenda Papadakis, and that was my first internet connection with other fiber obsessed people. And I am happy to say that my passion has grown and taken many turns and it has been wonderful. So, thanks to Al gore for the internet.

photo.jpg
Originally uploaded by martha_bilski


And I have 'met' many friends, among them Tilde from Copenhagen, who has issued a summer challenge, or invitation , if you will, to make a quilt of scraps found in your sewing room. This triggered a memory for me of a quilt that I had seen from a certain Danish website and I went a'hunting in my sewing stuff, and lo and behold, the Den Haan & Wagenmakers scraps and templates were unearthed, or unboxed, as it were. If the truth be known, I did have to yell for help to get down of the table onto which I had climbed in search of the box with the templates...never fear, Mike was available for the rescue.
These are the photos sent to me from the Den Haan and Wagenmaker store. And I have always thought I would want to make one and this is the perfect opportunity to make one and -Yes I will use the template, and the fabric, and other fabric from other places. I had thought that I would limit my palette and then was reminded that scrappy meant scrappy. I am sorry I just cannot explain it better than that. So I will not be (consciously) choosing colors or excluding others, and I will beginning cutting fairly soon-just as soon as I clean up some loose ends and sweep some threads under the carpet....

2 comments:

The Calico Cat said...

Good for you... I unearthed my Millenium "charms" (I only trimmed so many) this past weekend. (Background I got into quilting right after the millenium charm swaps - so none of theses are "mine" - A gal swapped me her extra set for yardage.) & So visions of a postage stamp quilt started to dance in my head. (I especially like the ones that alternate with white - but I have my millenium charms divided into 4 values...)

Anonymous said...

you know just yesterday I was telling my husband how lucky we were that Al Gore invented the internet!

It must be the season to unearth charms, orphan blocks and WIPS. I've decided to donate mine to my local guild for scrap quilts.

What size is the triangle template? It looks pretty small.

:-D eirdre