Wednesday, November 07, 2012

day five home #Sandy

     We have been back in New York for five days and have not gotten power or heat back yet. There is water to flush but not to drink or wash and there are no trains from long beach to get me to the city for work. Because it is cold at our house and we are welcome here,  Mike and I are staying at Else's apartment until conditions change in a favorable direction. Does not seem likely given the current nor'easter which is blowing more wind and water our way. Today, because of the storm, we have stayed in, for the first time since coming home, we not driving the 65 miles to our house. We figure it would do no good to bail out and then just have to do it again tomorrow. And there is the question of will we have enough gas to come back. Everything was pulled out of the basement and the cats have enough food to last a day or so.  It counts as a day of rest. Did I mention it is cold out?
     People who are not resting: the power people-LIPA National Grid, Con Edison, AT&T and Verizon- the police and firemen, the volunteers and co ordinators. FEMA, the garbage carters. All these people have been at work around the clock trying to restore us to what we consider normal. It is a shame they are not more appreciated and paid better. With out them we would be in a right fix. I do not like to see them maligned in the media, social and otherwise, when they are out there doing all this work while we wait. So just stop. All will be well, It was a hurricane. This is what happens in a hurricane. If you are safe and somewhat dry, you are ahead of the game.  Rant over. 
     Did you see my giraffe? Is he or she not adorable? I officially finished him/her today, riding out another storm, far, far away from normal. I packed a very ambitious knitting bag, so I will not run out of things to do which makes me happy. Happy is good. But I want to go home.


3 comments:

hehjude said...

Martha: glad to hear that you are happy. There is nothing better than "home". Hope it will all be done and over with soon so you can truly have a thankful Thanksgiving!
I'm not complaining about our snow or cold anymore, I just remind myself that it could be worse and think of you... Take care!
Judy in Northern Alberta Canada

Val said...

Hi Martha, I love the giraffe and am knitting one for the wee babe next door.

You are an inspiration too me and I agree that the ones that are speaking badly about the ones working have too much time on their hands. They should be helping if they have nothing better to do.

Hope that you get home soon, but its good to know that you are warm and dry for now. Take care my friend.

Val

Janice said...

Martha,

I hope you are able to go home soon. In the meantime, you are blessed to have a place to stay that is warm and safe. I am so happy to hear that your kitties weathered the storm. I hope your life returns to normal soon. Your giraffe is adorable. Janice in Northern Minnesota