Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Goals

    If I write them down does it make them real?
    I have taught classes in goal setting and done a whole lot of research and reading and practicing. I usually do set them on paper and revise them from time to time. I find that just this act does set things in motion. Now we have the internet to use also.
    I am interested in how other people think about goals. are they private? do you get the support of groups? are they written, prayed over, left out? Do you make lists? journals? collage them? Blog? FB tweet? video? podcast?
are these things mre of a diversion than a tool?
   My plan this fall is to restart the Artist's Way workbook and at least begin the morning pages. Any one want to join me? we could start a new members only blog and support each other..... just thinking it might be a good time in my life to commit to paper.
   
   

5 comments:

The Calico Cat said...

I pretty much just muddle through...

*karendianne. said...

I like turning to things for support just like you do and Julia Cameron is a favorite for sure. I have to admit I never could stick with the morning pages but I did start and it was a good exercise. I like to keep my writing private but I might be in for this in one form or another.

viridian said...

I sometimes write my work goals out and post them up on the side of my filing cabinet. I also have a planner for day to day, week to week items. Haven't written down home goals in the past.
I have the Artists way on my bedside table right now!!! I am not sure I am readyto commit the time to this now. Good luck to you though.

Susan In Texas said...

I'm in. I did morning pages for a long time at several different points in my life and found them to be very helpful. I think I'll start again next month. I noticed as I was trying to get Ethan's quilt done how much creative blockage I had accumulated. Only the deadline of the quilt show ever got me moving on it at all. I know my internal editor/censor was working overtime, that's for sure! Not good. Morning pages would be a terrific way to work through some of that gunk.

Let me know what you have in mind for the blog. Would you like me to blog about it too to see if more people are interested?

Hope to hear from you soon,
Susan in Texas

Shelina (formerly known as Shasta) said...

I have this cheap calendar/ organizer software that I use. On it, I add schedule things - so things I have to do everyday are put on the to-do list everyday - other things are less frequent (oil change, etc.). I put everything on it - buying presents a month in advance of a birthday, etc. I open it up everyday so I know what things I need to remember. Sometimes I fall behind, but I can always choose to delete an item if I decide not to do it.