Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Bailey won an award for excellence in poetry from Adelphi

Here is the poem that she read from her manuscript,
to the assembly:

Apart

What calamity is this,
which steals from me my senses?
And what crime have I done,
which leaves me begging for a pardon?
Well, tempests have fallen upon my home
and left only a splintering wooden foundation-
and I have had my body scavenged
by fiends of the night-
but never have I been so lacking,
so exposed,
or so rent apart.
For, when I have lost your hand-
the only one I’ve got to hold-
how am I to wage on through the dark?

5 comments:

Gina said...

Wonderful! Congratulations to Bailey!

Helen said...

Great poem, congrats to Bailey.

Anonymous said...

Like mother like daughter!
Fabulous!

hugs
hersheybar

Anonymous said...

dear martha,
you have a most sensitive and thoughtful daughter. i hope life provides all the best of love and health for her dear self. her poem touched me.
ellen in fl,
another mother of a daughter

Anonymous said...

i loved bailey's poem. so heartfelt. you can tell she takes after her mother. congrats to her and to you. patti